So today instead of discussing sustainable fashion, I thought I would do a little piece on tips on how to travel more sustainably. I’d like to start introducing more aspects of a sustainable lifestyle into the blog, please let me know if that is something that you’d be interested in and what you guys think in the comments below.
Anyway let’s get on to today’s topic, travelling more sustainably. Even just getting on a plane cause air pollution, so trying to go away and be sustainable can be tricky, but there are a couple things you can do that obviously make a huge difference.
1. If possible instead of flying, take a road trip or travel by train/boat as they are more eco-friendly.
2. Book a more sustainable place to stay. Instead of going all-inclusive at a big resort, try staying at a B&B or Boutique hotels as they usually run by locals which means by staying there you are helping the country’s economy. Also check out The Good Trades list of Eco Friendly hotels and Airbnb’s here and here.
3. Take a reusable water bottle. Instead of purchasing lots of plastic bottles whilst away causing a lot of waste whilst in another country, take a bottle with you and fill it up at water fountains etc. I know that Rome actually have lots of fountains dotted around the city which is perfect!
4. Buy locally made products, head to the local markets or little Artisan shops instead of large touristy shops that have lots of things imported in.
5. If you go on a tour use a local tour guide instead of a big company as you know the guide will actually been getting the money and will probably be more authentic!
6. Try to travel on foot/cycle or use public transport as much as possible.
7. Final one and one I think is so important – Immerse yourself in the local culture. Try to learn some basic phrases in their language, follow their traditions and of course as the saying goes ‘when in Rome do as Romans do’.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this piece, please let me know in the comments if you have any tips on travelling more sustainably.